After we were married, Ben and I moved away to find jobs and would only see Uncle Steve at the long weekend family reunion held every year on Petit Jean Mt, Arkansas and every other year at Thanksgiving. Man, do we look forward to that time with family! It really is an awesome way to get to know family and when you live as far away as we do, it is a treat!
this picture is from Petit Jean 2003 (more pics) - Ben, Uncle Steve, and Ben's Dad
God took Uncle Steve on Tuesday. Although Ben and I had expected that when he died, it would be sudden and unexpected, it is still a shock. Uncle Steve has had heart issues for about 20 years and because Ben and I know a bit about how the heart works, we knew that one day it would probably take him without much warning. (Which leaves me wondering... why didn't he have an ICD?) Like this isn't sad enough, his daughter's wedding is this Saturday - unthinkable... I know that God has to have something awesome planned but it just doesn't seem right. Here is this awesome man who probably wanted nothing more than to walk his daughter down the aisle this week (and play the classical songs that she asked him to play on the piano at the wedding) and the Lord decides that there is something more important. I want so much to celebrate his life and what he accomplished here, but I'm left not asking "why?" but "why NOW?". My heart aches for him in his last moments and his family as they try to figure out how to make the next week happen. The funeral is tomorrow and the wedding is still Saturday. I wish so much that I could be there to help make it happen. Ben left last night and I opted to stay home with the kids - Ben should be there to say goodbye to his favorite uncle. He should be there to support his sisters and parents (especially his father) as they grieve too. Hopefully grieving can turn into joyfulness for this bride and groom somehow. Please pray for them as they work the logistics to make it all come together and as they experience the emotions that come. Please pray for this new couple to have a special serving of grace from God to get through this tumuluous time. Please pray for the extended family as they celebrate and grieve this week and may they be sensitive to the needs of the people around them. Lord, please help me see your hand in this and where my joy in *this* should come from. Thank you, God, for the time Uncle Steve was able to spend with us though. He was truly a man of You.
4 comments:
Melissa, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Any time a family member passes, it is hard to handle. I will be praying for you and your families as you grieve his loss and celebrate the wedding.
Love in Christ
Jill
Thanks, Jill. A little ironic that you commented. They are burying Uncle Steve in the old Temple cemetery in Ruston today. The funeral was at 10am in West Monroe, so I'm assuming the burial will be sometime around lunch. I'm not sure tho. Thanks for your kind words, my sweet friend. Love to you and your family!
From Buddy -
Mel, thanks for your post on Steve Lawson. He was a precious and rare gem. I think you got to see a little of that before we lost him. Thanks for posting some of his piano music. The lyrics for that song are particularly poignent in this context; I know that Steve is beholding our Savior now.
Thanks for this sweet and heartfelt post, Melissa. I can hardly bear to come to it and yet I am compelled to listen and read it over and over. We are all truly devastated but we will be able to rejoice again because of the hope we have in Christ Jesus. Thank you for loving our family and sharing yours with us. Steve, like all of you in-laws was a gift to the Rhodes family and we do thank God for him and you and all those who have married us and joined in the family building process. I love you, Aunt Lou
Post a Comment