Monday, April 13, 2009

Book Club Report

December Book/Beth M's Pick:
Strong at the Broken Places by Richard M. Cohen
I had a hard time reading this book. It is about people with chronic diseases and the hardships they endure. It didn't draw me in and it was fairly depressing.... It quit about 125 pages in.


Took January off


February Book/Candy's Pick:
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
This book wasn't a easy read but I found it eye-opening. It is about a man that bonded with a village in Pakistan and then returned many times to build schools for children in that village and many others. It was amazing to read about a man that had a passion for something and made it happen. He reach out to these people by coming to them and befriending them, rather than forcing change upon them. His goal was more about finding what they desired to better their communities than dictating what he thought they needed. It was also interesting to read this book while keeping in mind what is going on in that part of the world currently.


March Book/Korrie's Pick:
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
I didn't finished this one either. I'm not a fan of how it is written and the story is too much for me. It seems far-fetched and not all that interesting to me. I do know that it is about the family history of a hermaphrodite and set mostly in Detroit.

No comments: