Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Day Date

Yesterday Ben and I went on a "Day Date". We put Madelyn in day care and took the day for ourselves. It was so nice! In the morning, we were able to go for a leisurely breakfast at a restuarant with a patio to enjoy the beautiful morning. The food and service were great too, which made it all that much better! Then we decided to try and tackle a couple of things we've been trying to get down for a couple weeks - buying a rug for our basement and a new microwave. I've realized that when Madelyn is with me in a store, I become even less decisive than I already am naturally. I think it has something to do with my attention being split and feeling like I'm not able to make a good decision. Anyway...these two purchases have been plaquing Ben and me for at least two weeks, so we decided to get it done! And within two hours, we had both things picked and purchased! Man, I felt so productive! After that, we went home for a nice lunch of sausage burgers (Ben has started making these and they are so good!). Then we spent the afternoon watching Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest. I can say that it was good, but not great. I had heard before hand that people thought it was too long. I didn't think it was too long necessarily, just not as good as the first one. I think I could say that the first Pirates is one of my favorite movies currently - not as good as Brother, Where Art Thou, of course, but a good movie. So from there, it was a pleasure to pick up Madelyn and start our normal evening routine of dinner and then hanging out with her before her bedtime. We took a bike ride to a park for her to run off some energy. Nice evening for a bike ride. Here's a pic of Madelyn in her bike trailer. She really loves to get in and go biking with us!

A few weeks ago Ben was asked to preach for our pastor last Sunday. He did a great job! He is asked about once a year to do this and always has something interesting, yet challenging, to talk about. This time it was about the Holy Spirit and an aspect that many of us might not attribute to it - disturbing. But not to leave you disturbed, but to motivate something, usually some sort of change. Then the Spirit enables you to tackle it. This is a quick synopsis of his talk, but I found it encouraging. So many times we are told that the Spirit is a comforter and I know at times It is. But I also can look back at my life and see times that I have been convicted or challenged by the Holy Spirit about my beliefs or my attitude or even my actions. This isn't a comforter, it is challenging and motivating force that makes me analyze myself and my own motivations - not a comfortable place to be for me. I praise God that the Holy Spirit sticks around to enable me and help me work through the issue though.

As I watched church members walk up and thank him for his talk and telling him, honestly, how much they look forward to hearing him speak, I realized something again (as I do from time to time). I'm so proud of Ben and his accomplishments. He is such a hard worker and continues to astound me with his pursuit of knowledge in all the areas of his life. As he works in his 8-5 job, he pursues excellence in his work and continues to move up in his career, earning more and more respect from his colleagues and managers. In his seminary studies, Ben also pursues excellence in his work but what impresses me most here, he is always looking for what God has to say to him through his classes and interactions with his classmates and professors. AND He continues to refine his understanding of God through his own study too. Ben's passion in this pursuit amazes me! This may make it seem like his family gets the shaft, and honestly during the school year, time with Ben is very limited, but Ben somehow spends the time with his family even on the busiest day or week. He is a wonderful father and my best friend. I am so lucky to have such a man as my husband - so lucky. Thank you God for this wonderful gift!

No comments: