Monday, March 24, 2008

A mouse?

Madelyn sits at the dining table to eat facing the window that looks out over a tree in our backyard. We have a walkout basement so the picture below is basically the view that she sees. So, yesterday we were sitting down eating dinner when she said very matter-of-factly looking toward the window, "I see a mouse." Seeing that it is too cold outside to have mice running around, my first thought was that a mouse was INSIDE MY HOUSE! So my first question was, "Is it inside?" "No," she says, "It is outside in the tree." I am stumped so I look outside for a minute and then I see it. Can you see what she is talking about in the picture below?


It is really a branch that is going off in the opposite direction but I have to say it does look like a mouse! Madelyn is pretty convinced that it is mouse too. :) I told her today when she was talking about it again, "You know it isn't a real mouse, right?" She replies after a minute, "Mama, it IS a real mouse. It isn't pretend." I left it at that for now. She added tonight that it has "a really long tail."


It is kinda fun to watch her lately recognize shapes and other objects in interesting places. Today she also told me that she had made a flower on her apple. What she meant was that she had eaten her whole apple in such a way that it looked a flower. It probably is an expected development milestone, but I'm impressed with her creative mind nonetheless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried to comment on this entry yesterday, but for some reason it didn't go through. I clearly saw the mouse without the helper picture and I turned to John who was sitting near by and asked if he saw the mouse. He studied the photo for a while and said yes, he saw it. Here's the funny part - when I scrolled down to reveal the circled photo, John said "That's not the mouse I saw!!" I cannot see his mouse for the life of me.
I well remember when Catherine began to be a surrealistic thinker. She saw a woman in her plate of speghetti and another time in the raindrops on the car windshield. John thought that it was so neat that he actually wrote about it in her baby book. I think it may be some sort of developmental milestone, but I have no doubt that Madelyn is a very smart and creative little girl.
I wish she could come down to visit her Aunt Lou. My man made marble tub surround is loaded with images. There is a horse, ducks (some mutated), a coyote or dog, some demons, various reptiles to name a few. I see them every day and they never move from their spots. I'd love to see what else she could find.
As for the mouse, I agree that he does have a very long tail so maybe some mutation problems there as well. Thanks for writing us these fun things. It makes me smile. I can't wait to see both of your babes. Love, Aunt Lou