Monday, July 26, 2010

Unforgivable Mistakes?

"For 1st time ever, parents must have "digital footprint" conversations with kids. Kids don't understand online is forever." A tweet by Jon Acuff' from Stuff Christians Like
This simple sentence sent me into an almost panic. Although I knew it, I suddenly realized how dangerous the internet is to kids that are experimenting in life. Immediately my mind was racing trying to find an analogy, something that is similar in life that is just as dangerous. What did I come up with? What I imagine a 1950's small town would be like - a place that is hard to get away from (or even conceive of something different) where everyone knows everything you've ever done and you can never "lose" your past. That doesn't mean that there isn't some great things about a town like that but living down your mistakes is not one of them. It also brings to mind the fears that I hear from upcoming theologians about publishing articles. Publishing anything is like writing a piece of your statement of faith and if that piece of your faith ever morphs on your lifelong journey with God, people can still point back and "use against you" what you once believed. But then, as happens so often, God responded to my concerns. I have a blog that I read written by missionaries to Haiti that wrote specifically about this ON THE SAME DAY! Here's what was said:
The paradox of Haiti certainly creates conflict within us. There are plenty of posts that were written from a place of deep pain and total confusion. There are many more written from places of great encouragement and pure joy. I don't want to be defined by things I said in dark times. Some of what I've written over the years is not how I feel today. I have been tempted to go back and get rid of stuff I wrote when I was hurt or confused or just tired and vulnerable. The problem is, if I do that I make part of this story untrue. I make the journey into something it is not. To be truthful is to acknowledge that parts of the journey are high places and parts of it are low places and that people change... Their hearts change, their minds change, their moods change...sometimes all in the same day. We are thankful that the vast majority of people offer grace and understanding as we walk through it all - the ups and downs, emotions, and confusion that injustice and traumatic events can cause. Life is so messy - and we are messier still - But here's to an honest journey. We don't want to fake anything.
Whew... I can mess up and it can still be part of my journey with God and I can have faith that "the vast majority of people offer grace and understanding". That is not to say that I shouldn't teach prudence to my children (and remember for myself too!) when it comes to handling themselves online... but I want to teach them that this life is more about a journey to a known destination, the arms of their loving Father.

2 comments:

Jeannette said...

So glad I stumbled upon your blog and found a tender and intelligent post.

Tracy P. said...

The only people who aren't allowed to change and have it considered growth and a good thing are politicians. Which is sad. We know we should be careful. I think if we desire to honor God and people, that will be clear throughout our unfolding paths and perspectives.