Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Today's Science Moment

I was looking through my fridge today and realized that my garden peas looked a little strange.  I had been avoiding them because I let them get too ripe, which makes them kinda chalky (it's my first year doing peas), and we have so many other garden things to munch on.  I guess I avoided them MUCH too long because they are starting to root...  wow.  I didn't think they would do that right there in my fridge.  So, I decided to make a science lesson out of it.  I asked Greyson and his friend, who was over for the day while Madelyn was gone, what was different about the peas and the friend, who is 5 months older, answered, "It has a string on it."  (And Greyson agreed.) Yes, something that looks like a string.  Then I told them it is actually called a root and asked if they knew what kinds of things had roots.  She answered, "Food?" (and Greyson said, "food?")  Yes, in this case, the food does have a root.  I explained that plants have roots.  Next I asked why a root might be coming out of the pea.  (Blank stares)  The pea is a seed!  And then both of them got VERY excited because they both know what seeds are since both households have big gardens.  It is amazing to literally see concepts come together in their eyes - I love it!

2 comments:

ChristinaR said...

What a fun moment and what a good teacher (aka Mommy)! Those "aha" moments really are the best. I can't imagine what they'll be like with my own children. :)

trinna said...

Great idea for a science lesson!

I am quite impressed with your gardening skills!